My Hand-Piecing Adventure – Part 2

I finished a project!! Not only that, every bit of it was hand-pieced! I am doing my happy dance because I have been told more than once that I have “Quilt Project Attention Deficit Disorder” (QPADD). It is true that I often get so excited about new ideas, projects and techniques, that I veer off in other directions before finishing what I am working on. But, not this time. Okay,to be honest, I first wrote a blog about this project called “My Hand-Piecing Adventure” back in August. Although I have started other projects in the interim, this one is now hanging on my quilt studio wall!

I really enjoyed the hand-sewing process and the portability of the project. The picture shows how I planned to assemble the blocks – the traditional way with 60° equilateral triangles between them.

However, I decided to use a small “Gone Quiltin’” hanger I received for Christmas, so the top had to be small. I needed to change my layout. Recently, I reviewed a terrific book called Foolproof Crazy Quilting by Jennifer Clouston from Australia. She made a lovely, vibrant crazy quilt from hexagons, which was assembled by self-binding the hexagons individually and whip-stitching them together.

Using this technique would eliminate the need to draw lines and hand-sew all the triangles and allow the design to fit on my small hanger.

To finish each block, I used fusible adhesive spray to adhere the WS of each block to a piece of batting. Then I trimmed the batting to the size of the block.

The block and batting were placed on a piece of backing fabric that was WS up and 1” larger all around. The book’s instructions were to trim one side to ¾”, fold the raw edge to block, fold the folded edge onto the front as binding, and secure with binder clips.

This worked fine, but I found using Clover’s handy-dandy Wonder Clips enabled me to prepare all the sides at one time. This sped up the hand-sewing of the binding! I was especially pleased with how easily and neatly the mitered corners formed themselves. I did a little hand-quilting around the block centers. Boy, I am out of practice with that! 

After binding all the blocks, I placed them on the design wall to see how they looked together.

Placing the blocks RS together, I used a whip-stitch to join them (just like English Paper-Piecing). Here is a close-up of the mitered corners. In retrospect, I made the stitches too tight and the blocks puckered some, which they did not do on the design wall before assembly. Oh horrors! My points didn’t line up on the center stars! Oh well, lessons learned and it is done, if not perfect! 

Here is the finished wall hanging in my quilt studio. Ta-Dah!


  1. Marilyn Lessner - February 6, 2014

    Oh, I love it! You did a fantastic job. I am SO inspired to try something similar. Love your color scheme, but mine will have to be blues.

  2. Katrina - February 6, 2014

    Ann this turned out SO great!! I LOVE it!

  3. Jenna - February 6, 2014

    I’m so impressed by this! great job.

  4. Laraine - February 6, 2014

    The black binding really sets them off. It came out beautifully!

  5. Teri - February 6, 2014

    Very cool project!

  6. Mary - February 6, 2014

    Wow! That’s really thinking outside the box! Great idea, and even better it is superb workmanship.

  7. Sheila Craft - February 6, 2014

    Great job!

  8. Sue - February 6, 2014

    I just love this!!!!

  9. Cheryl - February 7, 2014

    What great project. I love it. You did a terrific job. Way to go!

  10. Jenny - February 11, 2014

    Wow, Ann
    Your hexies look great. Thank you for your lovely words regarding my book!

  11. Ann - February 12, 2014

    Jenny, I am glad you were able to connect with our website all the way from Australia. Your book continues to inspire me! I will be blogging about my crazy quilt adventure soon.

  12. Joy Gross - February 18, 2014

    Very cool Ann.

  13. Annette - February 20, 2014

    I love the wall hanging. I would love to make one for my daughter

  14. Jody - March 5, 2014

    I love your wall quilt what a great project. Glad you joined the Busy Hands group.