From the happy jack-o-lanterns to the spider hanging from the K made of bones, it was the little details that made this embroidery project (55830) from Buttermilk Basin so much fun to do. And it was perfect for using some of our new batik novelties: 7037 Frightful Spiders-Licorice, 7038 Spooky Webs-Licorice, 7039 Wonky Dots-Jack-O-Lantern, and 7041 Chevron-Pumpkin. I supplemented these with 4467 Plumage-Raven (which I also used for the border and binding), 6943 Plumage-Tangerine, and some miscellaneous orange batiks I had in my stash. For the stitchery background I picked 3860 Mirage-Caramel.
When making the 1/4 square triangle units my scant 1/4″ left each a little bigger than needed giving me the room to trim and square up each unit.
Then it was just a matter of placing them around in a ‘random’ order (which I planned, of course!), alternating which way the black and orange triangles faced.
Before starting I didn’t feel like my stem stitch or satin stitch were particularly good but I had tons of practice while doing this project and now I feel pretty comfortable with both. It all comes down to practice, practice, practice!
I’m not comfortable free-motion quilting (I know, I just need practice!) so I outlined around the design, did some stitch in the ditch, and then stitched 1/4″ in on the border to create a frame affect. I did step out of my comfort zone a little by free-hand drawing a spider’s web in the upper left corner using a water soluble marker and then stitching over it with a matching thread. I’m delighted with the way it came out—it doesn’t stand out but provides an extra little fun detail.
I hope you’ll give this pattern a try. It’s great for stitching while watching TV and Halloween is just around the corner!