This was another fun project from Kristin Gassaway and really didn’t take too long to complete. I finished most of it in one day.
Because the background fabric is directional, you have to pay attention, but the actual construction is really quite simple to do. I dug out my 20 ½” square ruler for cutting the main background piece, triple checking that my bats would be flying in the right direction before making my cut! (I used cutting diagram option 2)
Next I did all my fusible appliqué at the same time; I ironed them in place and did a small zigzag around all the raw edges. Now it was time to embroider my little bat’s smiling fangs.
When I had originally traced my appliqué shapes for the fusible I had also traced the bat’s facial features. I took the paper I had peeled off the bat and used chalk on the back side to trace over the lines, turned it back over, lined everything up and rubbed to transfer the chalk lines.
It worked well enough for me to line up the eye applique pieces and stitch the mouth—more practice on my satin and stem stitching! I waited to add tiny buttons for the eyes until after I quilted it.
While there are bats that are upside down, I did have a sense of one direction “feeling” more right side up and because the EEK pieces go in different directions at either end I had to flip one of the bat fabric pieces around so they would all be flying in the same direction when put together. (It helped to lay everything out to make sure I was visualizing it correctly. I HATE ‘un-sewing’!!!).
When it came to do the binding I wanted to see how hard it would be to match up the stripes as I joined pieces together. After a little experimenting I discovered it wasn’t hard at all, although I did have to tilt some of my pieces more than others.
The only place I wasn’t able to match them up was the final join when I sewed it to my project. I must say I was pretty proud of my accomplishment.
I love my little bat! He’s going to be a wall hanging at my house and will coordinate well with my Spooky wall hanging that I did last year!